Climbing Wall Development Instructor (CWDI)
The award covers good practice, the introduction, coaching and on-going development of the technical and movement skills required to lead routes, technical competence (including personal climbing), the climbing wall environment and supervision (including planning, managing and movement skills).
Detailed information can be found in the Climbing Wall Leading Award Handbook
The consolidation period between training and assessment varies in length for each person, use it to develop your skills, paying particular attention to any weaknesses identified during the training course.
A day of training, practice, and workshops to update, refresh, and improve for any CWDI or CWLA holder or trainee.
Candidates should either hold the CWDI or CWLA award or have completed a CWDI or CWLA training course.
Registration with Mountain Training for the Climbing Wall Development Instructor award is an application process, during which your experience of logged sessions as a Climbing Wall Instructor award holder or Rock Climbing Instructor award holder, along with your personal indoor climbing experience, is taken into account.
The prerequisites for registration are as follows:
- You must be at least 18 years old
- You must hold either the CWI, RCI, CWA or SPA
- You must have an up to date logbook (ideally DLOG) with evidence of the following:
– 50 led routes
– Climbed at 3 different major climbing walls
– Belayed a lead climber 50 times
– 25 lead routes at grade F6a on indoor climbing walls
– 20 supervising sessions after passing either Climbing Wall Instructor award or Rock Climbing Instructor award
If you can tick all of the above boxes, here’s what to do next:
- Log in to the Candidate Management System at mountain-training.org
- Register for the Climbing Wall Development Instructor (previously CWLA) scheme (this costs £54.00)
- Notify Mountain Training that your DLOG is ready to be reviewed
- You will need to check back again to update the system after your D-log has been approved;
- Before you book onto aClimbing Wall Development Instructor award training course your application for registration must have been approved by Mountain Training.
- If you have not fully completed the registration process as above, we will not be able to notify Mountain Training of your attendance on the course.
You will be notified by email by Mountain Training with the result of your application. Applications with less than the minimum experience cannot be approved.The registration fee is non-refundable. However, if your application is not successful, you will receive feedback on how best to fulfil the experience requirements and your registration application will be held open for twelve months, during which you can submit an updated record at no extra cost.
CWDI ASSESSMENT COURSE PRE-REQUISITES
- Have completed a CWLA or CWDI training course (or been granted an exemption by MT)
- Logbook: Personal climbing experience – A minimum of 100 different lead climbs, at least half of which must be a grade of French 6a or above.
- Logbook: Supervision – Assisted or observed at least 5 teaching leading sessions delivered by a suitably qualified person
- We recommend you also Lead belay 100 climbs.
- Valid and relevant First Aid certificate