Arrampica are an approved provider of Mountain Training courses. We were one of the original providers of the climbing wall qualifications and have trained and assessed hundreds of people to safely conduct sessions.
Mountain Training (www.mountain-training.org) is the collection of awarding bodies for skills courses and qualifications in walking, climbing and mountaineering in the UK and Ireland. All of Mountain Training’s nationally-recognised schemes are designed to educate and train people so that they can safely enjoy climbing walls, crags, coast, hills and mountains while being environmentally conscious. The Mountain Training qualifications are designed for volunteers, youth workers, outdoor instructors and teachers.
The focus of this qualification is the safe supervision and management of climbing activities on bouldering walls and roped (but not lead) climbing walls.
This qualification is concerned with the safe supervision of abseiling on artificial structures. To take the training you must be CWI trained, or taking a joint course, to be CWAI assessed you must be a CWI.
The prerequisites for registration onto CWI and CWAI training courses are as follows:
- You must be at least 17 years old (18 at assessment)
- You should have at least 6 months of experience of using a variety of climbing walls
- You should have an interest in climbing and in supervising groups on climbing walls
- You must be a member of a mountaineering council: BMC, Mountaineering Scotland or Mountaineering Ireland (you can join one when you register if you’re not already a member)
This course develops the skills and techniques to teach and manage lead climbing groups in a variety of situations on artificial structures which have fixed protection.
The prerequisites for registration onto CWDI training courses are as follows:
- You must be at least 18 years old
- MT Climbing Wall Instructor (CWI), Rock Climbing Instructor (RCI), CWA or SPA
- You must have an up to date logbook (ideally DLOG) with evidence of the following:
50 led routes; climbed at 3 different major climbing walls; belayed a lead climber 50 times; 25 lead routes at grade F6a on indoor climbing walls; 20 supervising sessions after passing either CWI, RCI, CWA or SPA.